St. John Paul II PTO: A Closer Look at What We Do
Our PTO plays an important role at St. John Paul II Catholic School: it provides many of the benefits our children, parents, and teachers enjoy. We are not merely a fundraising machine; rather, we strive to create a stronger community, an enriched experience for our students, and a more pleasant environment for our teachers and staff. Here is a sample of the programs and activities we organize, staff with volunteers, and/or support financially:
- Ambassador Family program and its welcoming Ice Cream Social for new StJPII families
- Hands-on student programs, such as Art-a-La-Carte, grade-level Book Clubs, and the Community Garden in our school courtyard
- Fun, student-focused activities like the After-school Skate Day Parties, Birthday Recognition, annual Pumpkin Patch, Class Christmas Parties, Snacks with Santa, Run with the Saints Kids’ 5 K, & Fun-in-the-Sun Day
- Community support through our Bread Basket, to assist StJPII families in difficult times
- Room Parent support and Library Aides to assist our teachers during the school day
- Volunteer assistance with Mass and religious events through our Altar Society
- A continuous supply of delicious food for the staff and faculty at monthly Faculty Meetings, First Friday lunches, and themed, catered Staff Appreciation Luncheons twice a year
- Our Spirit Store, offering StJPII logo-embossed items and apparel to show school spirit, and which donates numerous items for school events, such as Grandparents’ Day
- Teacher and staff gifts given at 'back-to-school' time, Christmas, our bi-annual Staff Appreciation Luncheons, and the end-of-the-year “thank-you” gifts
- Monthly Teacher Wish List drawings, awarding 3 teachers each month with $200 to use for their classrooms or to purchase supplies that benefit our students’ education
- Hospitality service at numerous school functions, like Grandparents’ Day, New Student Testing, New Family Registration, New Student Testing, Newcomers Coffee and PTO meetings
- Box Tops provide funds for useful school items to help improve our children’s educational experience
Perhaps one of the PTO’s most well-known roles is to create, organize and staff our children’s most-beloved school day: “Fun in the Sun Day.” This fun, exciting field day and carnival each spring was first begun in 1992 and has become our most involved and biggest PTO fundraiser. The money we raise is donated directly back to the school to support our children’s education. Our children have a blast at Fun in the Sun Day!
Who does all this work? Our generous, resourceful parents and supporters: YOU DO! Through initiative and hard work, the PTO has grown into a thriving group of volunteers who are generous with their time and resources. We are grateful for every involved member. No contribution of time and energy goes unnoticed, no matter how small. I encourage every parent to get involved in the PTO to support our wonderful Catholic school.
Per Archdiocesan policy, all volunteers must be StJPII Volunteer Approved.
Click here for procedures.